Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Why Friends and Family Are Imperative to Developing Your Wine and Beer Palate

Ryan and I are home from Europe. During our trip I diligently blogged …in my journal. Internet access, while available, was challenging to find among the grapevines and port tastings. So over the next few weeks I will be blogging as if I were in Europe because I did blog in Europe…it just didn’t make it online until now. Believe me. I know the ending. This
is an adventure you’ll not want to miss.

Ryan and I have been in Europe for three glorious days now, and I have discovered what is now rule number one in Ashley’s Palate Development Mantra:

You Develop Your Best Palate When You Drink with Friends and Family

This doesn’t mean that every time you drink with friends you are expanding your understanding of what makes wine unique. I’ve had plenty of nights where the Carlo Rossi went down far too fast to learn anything about good wine. What I am saying is that when you evaluate wine (or beer) in a sterile environment you may learn a lot about its flavors, textures, and smells, but you do not learn about the soul of the wine. You don’t understand its unquantifiable pizzazz until you drink it with a group of your favorite people.

Ryan and I are in Germany now, but we spent the first few days of our trip in Brussels, Belgium. We were met at the airport by my brother, Adrien, who is living in Germany, and our great friend, Hilbren, who is living in Brussels. We walked off the plane, into Hilbren’s car, and directly into a Brussels pub scene. In a jetlegged haze I learned:
  • Belgium beer is as complex and interesting as a great wine.
  • Somehow the smell of cigarette smoke in a Belgium bar adds to the enjoyment of its beer.
  • Belgium beers are strong. After only a few you find yourself seeing the Grand Place through a delirious fog.
  • Belgium beer is very happy. Life isn’t so serious after all.
  • My understanding of the depths and flavors of this remarkable beverage sky-rocketed that evening -- not just because I drank it, but because I drank too much of it with three of my favorite men in all the world (my Husband, my brother, and my dear friend) in the city where it was made to be drunk.

Am I saying you must dedicate three bottles of an expensive French wine to a night of drunken fun to understand its greatness? No. Not at all. But would you understand the soul of French wine if you got to partake with great friends in Burgundy – and therefore be a better judge of fine French wine? Absolutely.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

sounds like you are having a blast! Good to hear about your journey and adventures! Call me!